I have been in contact with CNN reporter Melanie Hicken about this blog. She is on both the retirement and the Big Data beat. Junk mail is both of those smashed together in a nightmare of pleas for money for everything from saving Social Security, to saving cute fuzzy animals with big eyes. If you want to tell her about your battle with junk mail you can email her at Melanie.Hicken@turner.com.
One of the questions she asked was how much money did she give away? I didn’t know. Her family didn’t know. Didn’t want to know. But for this project, we took a peek. We only went through the last year of her account, before we wrestled the checkbook out of her hands.
Citizens United Foundation – $100
- National Retirement Security Task Force – $70, $200, $200, $500
- Health Care Reform Task Force – $200
- National Campaign to Guarantee Social Security – $400, $400
- Task Force to Impeach Obama – $100
- American Federation of Senior Citizens – $70, $100, $500
- White House Watch – $200
- Impeach Obama – $600 When we saw this one we shut down the computer and walked away.
Grand Total: $3,740
Those are only the big checks. Not the little $20 ones she sent off to the sweepstakes scams in the Netherlands. Or the ones for cash that were turned into money orders and sent off to who knows where.
After that glimpse it is a good guess to say that she gave away about $100,000. Or most of the value of her house.